Shock as man is killed in house attack and key suspect goes on the run
Residents living in a secluded East Yorkshire village have spoken of their shock as a police manhunt for a man wanted in connection with a suspected murder continues.
Humberside Police are still looking for Anthony Lawrence after a man died in hospital, having been attacked in the village of Southburn, around three miles south west of Driffield, on Friday night.
A woman also suffered serious injuries in the incident and is being treated at Hull Royal Infirmary.
A stretch of road measuring around a mile long, encompassing most of the village, has been cordoned off, effectively placing the area in lockdown.
Having appealed directly to Mr Lawrence to give himself up, police have confirmed they have found what is believed to be his car.
Mr Lawrence, who officers say is from Southburn himself, is still at large however.
Those living in homes close to the cordon, spoke of their shock on Saturday morning.
Cheryl Spence, who has lived in the area for five years, said; "We saw blue flashing lights last night but we had no idea what happened until we saw the Hull Daily Mail story this morning. I've no idea who it is.
"It's really strange because it's normally very quiet round here. There's no real shops or pubs in Southburn - it's just a little community."
Locals say the village is made up of around 20 homes and much of the land in the area is owned by the JSR Farming Group, who have a farm close to where the attack is thought to have taken place.
Debbie Brooks said: "I just heard from my husband this morning that someone had been murdered.
"I don't know anyone who lives round there anyway, we only really know our next door neighbour. You see people say on the n ews that they're really shocked when something like this happens in their area but it really is normally quiet round here."
Nothing is yet known about the victims.Source: Google News