US bombers fly over Korean peninsula in 'show of force' despite Jong-Un threats to shoot them down
The US has flown two bomber jets over the Korean peninsula despite threats from the Kim Jong-un regime that they will be shot down.
Six military planes, including two American supersonic B-1B bombers, took part in a drill on Tuesday night, according to Yonhap news agency.
The bombers from Guam staged a simulated air-to-ground missile firing drill with two F-15K fighters, according to senior US defence officials.
It is the latest provocation amid heightened tensions between the US and North Korea.
Last month, foreign minister Ri Yong Ho accused the United States of having declared war.
In a rare press appearance at the United Nations in New York, he said: "The whole world should clearly remember it was the US who first declared war on our country.
"Since the United States declared war on our country, we wi ll have every right to make countermeasures, including the right to shoot down United States strategic bombers even when they are not inside the airspace border of our country."
Earlier it emerged North Korean hackers are feared to have stolen a huge haul of classified military documents - including detailed plans revealing what the US and South Korea would do if the countries went to war.Video Loading Click to play Tap to play The video will start in 8Cancel Play now
The admission came by a senior lawmaker in South Korea.
Among the plans which Kim Jong-un's regime may now have its hands on are details on key military facilities and contingency plans for the South's special forces.
Hackers are said to have broken into the Defence Integrated Data Center last year, and several secret files are thought to have been taken.
A statement from Democratic Party Rep Lee Cheol-hee said, Yonhap News reports: "The Ministry of National Defense has yet to find out about the content of 182 gigabytes of the total (stolen) data."
He said 235GB had been taken, and 80 per cent of these have yet to be identified.
Pyongyang has denied responsibility for the cyberattacks, Yonhap reported, criticising Seoul for "fabricating" claims about online attacks.
It comes as it emerged that US President Donald Trump may visit the heavily fortified demilitarised zone (DMZ) separating North and South Korea when he visits South Korea next month.
A defence source told Yonhap that the village of Panmunjom and an observation post, both inside the DMZ, were among locations Trump was considering visiting.
The White House has yet to comment on the report.
Hostilities between Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un have escalated in recent weeks, with the US President describing his counterpart as 'Rocket Man' to the UN.
Trump has suggested the military o ption was the only way to halt the North's missile and nuclear programmes.
North Korea is likely to view a visit to the DMZ by Trump to be highly provocative.
In recent weeks, North Korea has launched two missiles over Japan and conducted its sixth nuclear test, all in defiance of U.N. Security Council resolutions, and may be fast advancing toward its well publicised goal of developing a nuclear-tipped missile capable of hitting the U.S. mainland.
Last week Trump dismissed the idea of talks with North Korea as a waste of time, a day after Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said Washington was maintaining open lines of communication with Kim Jong-un's government.
"Our country has been unsuccessfully dealing with North Korea for 25 years, giving billions of dollars & getting nothing. Policy didn't work!" the U. S. president said in a Twitter post on Monday.
Reclusive North Korea and the rich, democratic South are technically still at war because their 1950-53 conflict ended in a truce, not a peace treaty. The North regularly threatens to destroy the South and its main ally, the United States.
Trump is scheduled to visit Japan, South Korea, China, Vietnam and the Philippines starting from Nov. 3.Source: Google News